Daughter is an award winning short film and awareness project produced by Nexus Production Group, staring Katherine Langford (13 Reasons Why) as Scarlett, Aisha Tara (Heartbreak High) as Jemma and Carolyn Rey as Alethea. The main themes explored in the film are violence against women and victim blaming, shown through the eyes of the three female leads as they take you through a story that explores what women deal with on a day to day basis as active members of society.
The screenplay was inspired by the tragic murders of Jill Meagher in Brunswick and St Kilda's own Tracy Connelly, whose occupation as a sex worker was highlighted in the media, leading to her murder and personal story being sadly overshadowed.
Daughter premiered at St Kilda Town Hall during International Women's Week in 2015 to a crowd of over 180 people including council members, sponsors and special guests. Daughter as been part of the Short Film Corner at Cannes Film Festival in 2016, won Best Drama at Women Media Arts and Film Festival Sydney 2016, was awarded a Grapple Award at Anarco Film Festival 2017 and a Silver Remi Award for 'longer short film' at Houston Worldfest in the USA 2017. Daughter has also screened as part of the Wollongong Film Festival and toured independently in Victoria during 2016.
As an awareness focused film, an educational screening at Holmesglen TAFE Waverley was held in 2016, with the intention of starting a discussion on the films themes, and Daughter was a perfect fit for teachers and educators who worked the film into their teachings and assessments. To implement Daughter into your classroom teachings please go to Beamafilm or ATOM, where you can now stream the film online.
* Saturday 29th of October 2016- Swanpool Community Cinema w. Made In Melbourne Film Festival Special Event 7pm- CLICK FOR WEBSITE. Tix are cash only at the cinema - various prices
* Saturday 29th of October 2016- Woolongong Film Festival - Wollongong NSW 2500, Australia - From 6.30pm For all details and to buy tix CLICK HERE
* Sunday 20th of November 2016- Mansfeild Armchair Cinema special screening w. Made In Melbourne Film Festival Special Event - 2pm - CLICK FOR DETAILS AND TIX
* Tuesday 22nd of November 2016 - Queenscliff Uniting Church Movie Club 1pm- CLICK FOR WEBSITE Tix are $5 cash only at the event.
* Saturday 4th of March 2017 - Anarco Film Festival @ Hope Street Cinema, Brunswick 7.30pm - 12.30am
* May 13th 2017- 14th REEL Sydney Film Festival of World Cinema - Sutherland Entertainment Centre. For more details click here - REEL SFFWC
* UK, US, NEW ZEALAND, GERMANY, IRELAND, CANDA & AUSTRALIA via FANFORCE - Book a screening at your local cinema from now - Click here.
Read the latest Daughter updates here
Daughter behind the scenes stills - September 2015
Daughter Premiere Screening, March 10th St Kilda Town Hall 2016
Daughter encore St Kilda screening at 4Dverse 23rd July 2016
Daughter screening at Holmesglen Tafe Waverley Justice Course 1st August 2016
Daughter screening at Swanpool Community Cinema 29th Oct 2016
Daughter Screening at United Church Queenscliffe Tuesday 22nd of November 2016
Daughter is a 28 minute short film and awareness project which teaches the importance of respect for others, the danger of victim blaming, and the negative effects gendered violence has on our society, as shown through the eyes of three different women.
In August 2016 Daughter had it's first educational screening at Holmesglen Tafe Waverley, where the film was integrated with the teaching practice for the Justice Course students.
Daughter is available to purchase as a resource either through Beamafilm or ATOM -
* Through ATOM's Online Educational Shop Daughter is available in three formats - DVD, 3 Day Rental and 5 year access. (LINK BELOW)
* Daughter can be streamed free of charge for participating libraries through Beamafilm and also streamed though the Beamafilm film catalogue for educational use. (LINK BELOW)
Daughter is also on Fan-Force website, making it possible to see Daughter in your local cinema around the world - UK, US, GERMANY, IRELAND, NEW ZEALAND, CANADA & AUSTRALIA. Now it is easy for large groups who want to host their own private screenings of Daughter at local cinemas in their local area.
If you require a PRESSKIT please get in touch with either Sarah Jayne or Ivan Malekin from NPG directly via the CONTACT page and make the request.
WRITER/ DIRECTOR - SARAH JAYNE P: 0474 478 891 E: email@example.com
PRODUCER - IVAN MALEKIN P: 0419 518 790 E : firstname.lastname@example.org